Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Further Gastronomic Experiences

Tuesday proved another epic day of eating and seeing more of the Southern Suburbs. I mentioned Ida Cooper's programme in my previous post, but I must elaborate further to offer context to Tuesday's exciting activities.

Emory and several other American universities arrange for Ida Cooper and Associates to book our accommodations in Cape Town and fetch us from the airport. I began corresponding with Ida six months ago about my housing preferences for this semester (of course, I could not be more pleased with my apartment). I benefited from learning all about Ida's programme from Danny and other Emory study abroad alumni.

Before classes began at UCT, Ida hosted all 50 (or so) semester study abroad students at her home for a full meal and meet n' greet in February. Ida and her team take sick students to her family doctor, track down landlords (one student's mattress was infected by bedbugs), provide tourist programming and manage our registration at UCT. I could not imagine a study abroad programme without this support network!

Most importantly, Ida takes all her students out to high tea. I met Ida and her friend Isabella for tea yesterday at the Gardener's Cottage Restaurant and Coffee Shop in the Montebello Design Centre. I had planned to go with my roommates -- Rachel and Kim -- for tea, but it proved too difficult to find a mutually agreeable time for the three of us. I went ahead and scheduled my own tea. I sat down to a delicious buttered croissant stuffed with scrambled eggs, cream cheese and smoked salmon slices. Delicious! I sipped roobios tea and devoured my meal.

Afternoon tea with Ida also includes dessert, and I selected an incredible crepe filled with ice cream topped with caramel sauce and toasted almonds, served with fresh strawberries, plums and banana slices. I highly recommend combining these wonderful sweets into a masterpiece. It did not take me more than a few minutes to finish off the crepe, and we were off to pick up Ida's granddaughter at an afternoon drama activity.

We fetched Ida's granddaughter (a sophomore in high school) in Rondebosch and delivered her to a friend's house in Claremont. By this time, afternoon traffic clogged the streets and we moved slowly. I enjoyed listening to the conversation about Cape Town safety, especially security on the trains. Ida dropped me back at the Lodge shortly after 5 p.m.

I was out again within 30 minutes for a lecture on campus focusing on the National Prosecuting Authority's (NPA) decision to drop charges about ANC President Jacob Zuma. (The NPA released its decision while I was on holiday in Botswana, and I even asked the passport agent at the OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg for the news when I returned to South Africa.) Last night's lecturer, who teaches at the nearby University of the Western Cape (a primarily coloured institution), presented a very detailed and thorough legal explanation of the NPA's decision. Personally, I would have preferred an open conversation about the national elections (today is Election Day, a public holiday here), but the lecture was certainly more stimulating than my four-times-a-week course on South African Politics!

I raced from the UCT Upper Campus to the Hussar Grill on Main Road in Rondebosch for Lanre's birthday dinner. The Hussar came with strong (rather, epic) recommendation from Sarah (who has waited patiently for proper treatment in this blog). The Hussar Grill is much like Raleigh's Angus Barn, a fantastic steakhouse with excellent service. The catch is that a 14 oz. fillet costs no more than $15.00. I ordered a very conservative steak roll sandwich (remember, I had just eaten a magnificent spread during afternoon tea and was not particularly hungry). Kim ordered a kudu fillet, Deborah a sirloin, Mike a fillet mignon (called the carpetbagger) -- the others ordered lamb and more flesh (naturally). Lanre, the birthday boy, ordered flesh cooked in chocolate sauce. I do believe we will return for another meal (maybe my birthday?) and I will come with an empty stomach.

After a busy afternoon and evening of eating (and one political speaker), I retired to The Lodge to read about famine in Zimbabwe. No classes today on account of the national elections, but I am working an essay for submission tomorrow as well as making reservations for accommodations and activities for the weekend road trip to the Garden Route.

1 comment:

  1. Now that I have been drinking tea, I can truly appreciate this story. I love tea time. In Turkey, we don't have a tea time, but people go to the cafe and drink cay all the time. I think we should continue this tradition next year! I am jealous of your smoked salmon too! :)

    ReplyDelete